Our Architect Spotlight is a periodic series covering topics relevant to architects. It evaluates products that make sense for the needs of specific projects. This entry explains the benefits of designing a facility with automated doors.
It goes without saying that doors are incredibly important to any commercial building. Of course, a door or gate serves as an aesthetic introduction of the building to employees and visitors, welcoming them to a facility and delivering a valuable first impression. Yet, functionality is incredibly significant, too. These entryways often serve as hubs of commerce, where employees ship goods and perform critical business tasks. With this being the case, safety is always the top priority. That’s why automation is so essential.
Eliminate unnecessary safety risks
Today, 53% of all commercial dock doors are not automated. This can put people at greater risk. When doors are not automated, we see:
- Increased potential for workplace injuries.
- Decreased worker productivity and efficiency.
- Higher risk of theft, loss and security threats.
In addition to the primary concern for every employee’s health, the average cost per worker injury is a whopping $39,000. Unfortunately, loading dock areas near commercial doors are frequent culprits.
When considering design, automation should be automatic
Thankfully, it’s possible to reduce the risk of workplace injuries by implementing an automated access solution from LiftMaster®. These motorized doors help employees to work smarter while reducing risk of increased costs and inventory losses. They are also compatible with myQ® Smart Facility Access™, providing facility managers with full insight and control over warehouse access points—including notifications displaying who is entering and when.
Architect Product Spotlight: Dock Door Operator
An example of a LiftMaster product powered by myQ is the DDO8900W Light-Duty Dock Door Operator, designed and tested for dock door applications that that require full vertical lift or high lift. The Dock Door Operator provides a cost-effective solution that comes with unique key features including:
- Connected Access Management Solutions – The myQ Smart Facility Access software provides facility managers with full insight and control over warehouse access points. The Dock Door Operator exclusively features the LiftMaster® Interface Device (LMi5). This monitors up to five external sensors around the dock door to provide status of key events, known as Dock Door Sessions. Users can track truck arrivals, leveler activity, door status and more — all in real time. Through an annual subscription to myQ Smart Facility Access, which is included with the DDO8900W for the first year, business owners and managers can take advantage of:
- Asset Tracking – Tracks the door system components to allow for better maintenance planning and reduced downtime.
- Access Management – Establishes multi-user permissions-based functionality and reporting. Assigned users can monitor multiple commercial doors and gate operators. This includes tracking user history and creating set schedules and alerts for added safety and security.
- Facility Visualization – Provides real-time views on all connected docks, doors and gates within a customized facility dashboard. This allows for full control over all access points within the facility.
- Commercial Intelligence Reporting – Collects commercial door and gate operator activity, operation and events to develop key benchmarks and customized reports. This helps improve warehouse efficiency, productivity, energy savings, compliance and safety.
- Advanced Alerts and Notifications – Enables multiple people/groups to receive alerts and notification based on user-set scenarios for increased safety and security.
- Door Lock Capability: Allows up to two door locks per system for added security.
- Integrated Battery Backup: Ensures access even when the power is out.
- Timer-to-Close: Automatically program the door to close after 1, 5 or 10 minutes.
Designed for seamless operation and safety
This is one example of a LiftMaster product, when combined with myQ Smart Facility Access, that puts simplification, insight and safety at the forefront. LiftMaster offers an array of products to help architects deliver the best project possible.
Here’s the bottom line: safety always makes sense. When it comes to designing and developing a project, make sure to consider automated doors as part of your solution.
To learn more about solutions geared towards architects, visit our Resources for Architects page.